Mang nghĩa "cắn răng chịu đựng, ngậm bồ hòn làm ngọt"
=To confront a difficult or unpleasant situation with courage and determination.
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- On the one hand, men tend to be more calm and composed when faced with extreme emotions such as anger. This is because they are more inclined to have better control over their feelings, and hence could bite the bullet and get a grip on themselves in times of overwhelming distress, namely the bereavement of a relative.
- When demand was down, U. S. automakers had to bite the bullet. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Khi nhu cầu giảm, những nhà sản xuất xe hơi ở Mỹ bước vào giai đoạn khó khăn)
- I hate going to the dentist, but I'll just have to bite the bullet.
- I decided I had to bite the bullet and take a couple of math classes even though I knew they were hard.
- They'll just have to bite the bullet and get on with it. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Họ sẽ chỉ phải ngậm đắng nuốt cay và tiếp tục chịu đựng)
- To take advantage of cheap airfares, vacationers had to bite the bullet and wait in long lines at the airport. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Muốn mua được vé máy bay giá rẻ, khách du lịch phải chịu khó đứng chờ thành hàng dài tại sân bay để mua vé)