Mang nghĩa "gây thiệt hại"
=if something takes its toll, it causes damage
take its toll on
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- The recession is taking its toll on small businesses.
- The building was once a model of its kind, but years of neglect have taken their toll.
- Stress can take a heavy toll on your health.
- every year at Christmas drunken driving takes its toll (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Vào dịp lễ Nôen hàng năm, nạn lái xe trong tinh trạng say rượu gây ra nhiều thiệt hại)
- The recession has taken a heavy toll.
- The stress was beginning to take its toll on their marriage.