Mang nghĩa "xét trên bề mặt thì, mới nhìn qua"
=used for saying that something appears to be true but might not be true when you have examined it in more detail / when first considered
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- We do not believe on the face of it that there has been illegal activity by the banks.
- On the face of it, it seems like a bargain, but I bet there are hidden costs
- The story seems simple on the face of it, but it’s really pretty complicated.
- On the face of it, it seems worthless. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Cứ theo bề ngoài mà xét thì, dường như nó tệ hơn)
- On the face of it that seems to make sense. But the figures don't add up.
- It is, on the face of it, a difficult point to grasp.