IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn từ A đến Z tất tần tật idioms bắt đầu bằng chữ A thường gặp nhất trong IELTS SPEAKING, cũng như các kì thi tiếng anh như THI ĐẠI HỌC MÔN TIẾNG ANH và THI HỌC SINH GIỎI môn tiếng anh. Bên cạnh học rất kĩ về IDIOMS trong tiếng anh, các em cũng nên ôn luyện thêm về sự khác nhau giữa Yours Sincerely và Yours Faithfully với các bạn định thi IELTS GENERAL TRAINING nhé!
1. anything but (Không phải)
Đồng nghĩa với:
- by no means
- it's not the case at all
- certainly not
- the opposite of what you imagined
- didn't turn out as planned
- nothing like it should have been
- We went to see that new action film on Thursday night and it was anything but good, in fact, I fell asleep.
- My daughter was anything but a sound sleeper, she kept me awake all night most of the first year.
- He has no idea about money. He said it would be a cheap holiday; it turned out to be anything but.
- The new boss is anything but charming when I met him.
- Our meeting schedule is anything but definite.
2. at odds with sb/sth about sth (bất đồng với ai/ cái gì về cái gì)
- to disagree about something
- to argue about a matter
- two things that seem to be opposites
- in conflict
- at variance
- in disagreement or dispute
- They are at odds about the fundraiser that I being held on Saturday.
- We are at odds about how to punish our son for skipping school. I take the matter much more seriously than my husband does.
- They are definitely at odds about how to run the company. This is causing the stakeholders to lose faith in them.
- Her beaming smile was at odds with the rumours that I had heard about her quick temper.
- His piercing blue eyes are at odds with the rest of his features.
- His speech during the meeting is completely at odds with what we discussed last week.
3. (look like) a fish out of water (Như cá mắc cạn)
- being uncomfortable and restless
- falling into the state of confusion
- to feel awkward due to a specific/strange situation
- being in an unusual situation
- not feeling relaxed
- away from the familiar environment
- Our new teacher looked like a fish out of the water, nobody was aware of the issue.
- We had no clue how to make Phil comfortable with the new management. He was looking like a fish out of the water.
- Sara has certainly not looked like a fish out of water in the mathematics lecture, since she is taking some online classes to improve her concepts.
- Martin had never been to a supermarket before, so he was looking like a fish out of water when his mother asked him to bring some stuff to cook.
4. aftermath: hậu quả
- The effects of something traumatic
- the consequences of an event
- after effects
- A lot of countries sent help in the aftermath of the earthquake.
- There are numerous videos online that show the aftermath of the tsunami that hit Thailand a few years ago.
- Our family had to stand together in the aftermath of the scandal.
- We are all waiting to see what the aftermath of the fight will be.
5. all roads lead to Rome = mọi nẻo đường đều đến La Mã, có nhiều cách để làm nhưng cuối cùng vẫn cho 1 kết quả
- all the routes are directed towards the center
- there is more than one way to achieve the same thing
- variety of methods will yield the same result in the end
- exactly the same outcome can be produced using many different ways
- there are many different routes to reach the same destination
- Take any route of your choice becauseall roads lead to Rome.
- All roads lead to Rome, so whether you draw from the top or from the bottom, it will give you the same drawing.
- Some people have to memorize while others can remember by just going through it once. In the long run, all roads lead to Rome.
- Sam always uses a shorter method to get the right answer as all roads lead to Rome.
6. get on nerves = chọc giận
- tick someone off
- being annoying for someone
- to become unbearable for someone
- to irritate someone to a great extent
- to bother and distract someone during work
- Put your mobile phone in a silent mode - its loud ringtone is getting on my nerves.
- Stop laughing! You are getting on my nerves.
- Tom’s idea to go swimming on the dirty beach was pathetic. He is getting on my nerves.
- It used to get on my nerves when I saw someone sleeping during the working hours.
- Whenever I go to study my younger sister starts getting on my nerves by crying so loud.
- I saw your best friend usually gets on your nerves, but you never resist her.
7. as a result = kết quả là
- the outcome of something that you have done.
- a result of anything that is willingly done by you
- the consequence of your own deed
- because of the occurrence of something
- it is the indication of the effect due to a cause
- As a result of this mishap, he was not on work for a week.
- David twisted his arms and, as a result, he won’t be taking part in the basketball tournament.
- Tom died as a result of an accident.
- Several houses were shattered as a result of the heavy storm.
- Jackson misbehaved with his boss; as a result, he lost the job.
- He took too many loans and as a result, he went bankrupt.
- Many local citizens died as a result of a bomb blast.
- Lots of fishes and other sea creatures had died as a result of the crude oil spilling.