I. "stand up to"là phrasal verb ngoại động từ
II. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa"chống chịu được, chịu đựng được (điều kiện khắc nghiệt....)"
=If something stands up to bad conditions, it is not damaged or harmed by them/(of materials, products, etc.) to remain in good condition despite rough treatment
- Is this building going to stand up to the strongest gales?
- The carpet is designed to stand up to a lot of wear and tear.
2. Mang nghĩa"đương đầu, đối đầu (với ai...)"
=If you stand up to someone, especially someone more powerful than you are, you defend yourself against their attacks or demands/to resist somebody; to not accept bad treatment from somebody without complaining
- He hit me, so I hit him back–the first time in my life I'd stood up to him.
- Women are now aware of their rights and are prepared to stand up to their employers.
- It was brave of her to stand up to those bullies.