I. "account for"là phrasal verb ngoại động từ
II. Cách dùng phrasal verb: account for
1. Mang nghĩa"chiếm tỉ lệ, một phần nào đó trong tổng số"
=to form, use, or produce a particular amount or part of a group of people or things
- The Japanese market accounts for 35 per cent of the company's revenue.
- Electronic goods account for over 30% of our exports.
- Students account for the vast majority of our customers.
- Exports account for over 80% of sales. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Xuất khẩu chiếm hơn 80% doanh thu)
- Computers account for 5% of the country's commercial electricity consumption.
- Afro-Americans account for 12% of the US population.
- Higher education accounts for about 13 percent of general fund expenditures.
- These occupations now account for 37. 6 percent of all workers.
- In the whole of 1995, imports accounted for 58 % compared with 57 % in 1994.
- This accounts for 90 percent of reported pollution incidents.
- Own-label products now account for more than 20% of sales in some European supermarkets.
2. Mang nghĩa"là nguyên nhân của"
=to be the reason why something exists or happens
- A number of factors account for the differences between the two scores.
- The increase in carbon dioxide emissions may account for changes in the climate.
- Now, the gene they discovered today doesn't account for all those cases
- Recent pressure at work may account for his behavior.
- Vehicles account for air pollution in the cities. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Xe cộ là nguyên nhân gây ra ô nhiễm không khí tại các thành phố)
3. Mang nghĩa"giải thích"
=to give an explanation for something bad that has happened, especially something that you are responsible for
- You will be brought before the disciplinary panel to account for your behaviour.
- How do you account for this sudden improvement in his test scores?
- I cannot account for his behaviour. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Tôi không thể giải thích về cách cư xử của anh ta)
- How do you account for the company's alarmingly high staff turnover?
- He said only 200 of the train's 600 passengers had been accounted for
- Can you account for your movements on that night?
4. Mang nghĩa"chịu trách nhiệm"
=If someone has to account for an action or policy, they are responsible for it, and may be required to explain it to other people or be punished if it fails.
- The President and the President alone must account for his government's reforms.
Các khóa học IELTS online 1 kèm 1 - 100% cam kết đạt target 6.0 - 7.0 - 8.0 - Đảm bảo đầu ra - Thi không đạt, học lại FREE
>> Thành tích học sinh IELTS TUTOR với hàng ngàn feedback được cập nhật hàng ngày