Bên cạnh HƯỚNG DẪN TỪ A ĐẾN Z CÁCH PARAPHRASE TỪ "RECOMMEND" TRONG TIẾNG ANH (dùng cho IELTS GENERAL), hôm nay, IELTS TUTOR xin gửi đến bạn danh sách Collocation bắt đầu với A nên học trong tiếng anh.
more than average, esp. in amount, age, height, weight etc - trên trung bình
· We believe in above-average pay to attract above-average people.
· We expect to see continuing above-average growth.
· Women's participation in the workforce in Ireland is now above average by international standard.
· But if not, he is heading toward 3,000 hits (2,833) and perhaps 500 homers (423) as a still above-average all-around player.
· A 44-year-old man of average build and above-average wealth had simply fallen down and died in the leafy suburb he'd recently begun calling home.
totally or completely necessary - hoàn toàn cần thiết
- It was absolutely necessary to have our principal pieces tied to the club.
- They would only talk to me if it was absolutely necessary.
- Is it absolutely necessary for populist politicians to have absurd hair?
- State production should only be introduced under the pressure of absolute necessity.
- But in order to maintain this fantasy, peace is an absolute necessity.
to use drugs in a way that's harmful to yourself or others - lạm dụng chất kích thích
- Mario abused drugs for many years, but luckily he got some help and stopped.
- Prescription drugs that relieve pain are being abused a lot these days.
- This past year we heard some big names come clean about why they used to drink or abuse drugs
- If you have family members who abuse drugs or alcohol, you're at higher risk of the same problem.
abuse of power
the harmful or unethical use of power - sử dụng quyền lực/ sức mạnh sai trái/ có hại
- The president was charged with abuse of power after ordering soldiers to shoot at protesters.
- Starting a war for no good reason is probably the worst abuse of power there is.
- The subsequent leak of that information to the media is a breathtaking abuse of power by the authorities.
- Government secrecy breeds corruption, abuse of power and, ultimately, tyranny.
- In his twisted world, this mild exposition is a tissue of lies, misrepresentations, and abuse of power.
accept (a) defeat
to accept the fact that you didn't win a game, match, contest, election, etc. - chấp nhận thất bại
- John gets angry when he loses because he finds it so hard to accept a defeat.
- They've been in power for a long time, so their defeat in this election isn't easy for them to accept.
- Those who know him insist he's driven by an utter inability to accept defeat.
- Shortly thereafter Whitlam arrived in the tally room to accept defeat
accept a challenge
to agree to do something difficult or dangerous - chấp nhận làm gì khó/ nguy hiểm
- Being captain of the team won't be easy, but I'm sure David will accept the challenge.
- This really big guy challenged me to a fight, but instead of accepting I ran away as fast as I could.
This American was just the kind of chivalric fool to accept a challenge.
accept an apology
to forgive someone who says they're sorry - chấp nhận lời xin lỗi
- My mistake was serious, but luckily the boss accepted my apology.
- She refused to accept her husband's apology and said she wanted a divorce.
- But the gracelessness of the person accepting the apology too often exacerbates an already uncomfortable situation.
accept an invitation
to say "yes" after getting an invitation - nhận lời mời
- Most of the people we invited to the party have accepted their invitation already.
- We sent out two hundred invitations to the conference, and so far around a hundred have been accepted.
- I am very pleased to accept your invitation to meet with your marketing team.
to take the blame when something goes wrong - nhận trách nhiệm cho sai sót
- The bank is refusing to accept responsibility for the mistake.
- The manager has accepted full responsibility for the company's problems.
- Do you accept responsibility for your actions?
- Governors need to inform themselves thoroughly about the current state of the school building before they accept responsibility for it.
- May we learn to accept responsibility for our own actions and inactions and for our mistakes as well as for our success.
achieve a goal
to do what you'd planned or hoped to do - đạt được mục tiêu
- Rafael wanted to be the world's top-ranked tennis player, and he eventually achieved his goal.
- Some goals are more difficult to achieve than others.
- The division has achieved its goal of being a major force in home entertainment.
to behave in a way that makes people suspicious - hành động đáng nghi
- Stop acting so suspiciously! Do you want to get caught?
- He was seen acting suspiciously outside the bank, so someone called the police.
a movie with lots of action and violence - phim hành động
- Teenage boys love all those action movies.
- One of my favorite action movies is Nicolas Winding Refn's "Drive".
He loves action movie - all car chases and jumping out of planes
People often don't think of "Saving Private Ryan" as an action movie
a volcano that could erupt at any time - núi lửa có thể phun trào bất kì
- There are quite a few active volcanoes in Southeast Asia.
- We saw smoke and ash coming from the top of the volcano, so we knew it was active.
- It is possible to live near an active volcano without too much fear of the consequences.
- People seem to think that there is only one active volcano on the earth's surface that erupts every few years and causes a minor problem that soon disappears.
playing an active role - có liên quan
- More young people should become actively involved in politics.
- My mother wasn't actively involved in the women's movement, but she believed in equal pay.
- Amy Desel is actively involved in various charitable causes
to accept that you can't win a competition or achieve a goal - chấp nhận thất bại
- We never admit defeat before a game's over, no matter how far behind we are.
- I couldn't fix the car myself, so I admitted defeat and called a mechanic.
- After several attempts to untie the knot, I admitted defeat and cut through it with a knife.
- Well, I ran a good campaign, but it is time I admitted defeat in this election.
against the law
illegal - trái luật
- Stealing is against the law.
- If what you did isn't against the law, the police can't arrest you.
- What are you doing, putting that lipstick in your pocket? Shoplifting is against the law!
continuously from when something begins - từ lúc bắt đầu
- I thought he'd gone out, but he was in his room all along.
- I pretended not to know who it was, but I knew it was you all along.
- Kristen was disappointed to learn that Pete had been lying to her all along.
- I’ve said all along that this would happen.
- He knew who they were all along but he pretended he didn’t.
completely finished - hoàn tất
- It was a bad experience, and I'm glad it's all over.
- The storm was frightening, but when it was all over we went back to bed.
- It's all over with me and Diane. We just fought too much.
- It's all over—there's no way we'll score a goal to tie it in the last seconds.
- The party's all over now—people started leaving an hour ago.
almost definitely - hoàn thành rạch ròi
- What he said is almost certainly true.
- Climate change is almost certainly the result of human activity.
an order based on the letters of an alphabet, with "a" being the first and "z" being the last in English - theo thứ tự bảng chữ cái
- Could you put these words in alphabetical order?
- Alphabetical order is usually based on the first letter of a word or name.
- Make sure your references are listed in alphabetical order.
- We need to know the alphabetical order to complete many tasks such as doing research, looking for a telephone number in a telephone directory and finding a word in the dictionary.
power or electricity produced by using energy from the sun, wind, water, etc. - nguyên liệu thay thế
- Many companies are starting to invest in alternative energy.
- Alternative energy will not only be better for the planet, but it'll be cheaper as well.
- More emphasis should be placed on developing alternative energy sources such as wind, solar energy, and tides.
- The following chapters offer an analysis of the future of fossil fuels, and alternative energy sources.
answer an advertisement
to contact a person or company after seeing their advertisement - liên hệ bên quảng cáo
- Carlos has been answering job advertisements for months, but he still hasn't got a job.
- I put an advertisement online and lots of people answered it.
answer the door
to go to the door and open it after someone knocks or rings the doorbell - mở cửa
- As soon as she heard him knock, Alison jumped up and answered the door.
- I rang the bell over and over again, but no-one answered the door.
- Can you answer the door? I'm a little busy right now.
- I did knock, but no one answered the door.
more of something you've already had or got - có thêm nữa
- I don't want any more, thanks. I've already eaten too much.
- Did they send any more emails after you told them to stop?
Would you like any more tea?
If you find any more books, please let us know.
any longer, or as in the past or previously - lâu hơn nữa
- Why don't you want to see him any more?
- We don't live there any more. We've already moved to a new place.
- I don't do yoga any more.
- She doesn’t want any more contact with him.
apply for a job
to ask to be considered for a job you'd like to get - xin việc
- Have you applied for any jobs this week?
- Those jobs are really hard to get because so many people apply for them.
- He has applied for a job at Google on 2019
- Do you know that job I applied for?
arrive on time
to arrive exactly when expected or scheduled to - đến đúng giờ
- Did Danny arrive on time, or was he late again?
- The train arrived at the station right on time.
- Relief food may not arrive on time.
- Voter cards did not arrive on time in many places.
- The guests who cared enough to arrive on time are there, cellphones turned off, greetings dispersed.
ask a favour
to ask someone to do something for you because you need their help - xin ân huệ giúp đỡ
- Can I ask a favour?
- You've done Bob lots of favours, so ask him a favour for a change.
- The leader went on to ask a favor.
- If you ask a favor politely people would be happy to help.
- And someday, and that day may never come, Don Lembo may ask a favor of you.
ask for advice
to ask someone what they think you should do - xin lời khuyên
- Don't be afraid to ask for advice if you're not sure what to do.
- Why don't you ask your sister for some advice? She knows all about fashion.
- Always find someone who's been recently to ask for advice.
- "Don't ask for a job, ask for advice," recommends John
- I decided to use social media to ask for advice.
ask for directions
to ask someone to tell you the way to a place - hỏi đường
- If we get lost, we can ask for directions.
- Was the embassy easy to find, or did you have to ask someone for directions?
- You couldn't find anyone to ask for direction or help.
- Ask for directions when making a reservation.
to ask your boss, teacher, parent, etc. if you can do something - xin phép
- If you want to leave work early, you have to ask permission first.
- Did you ask your parent's permission before going to the party?
- Remember to ask permission first.
- I asked permission to do different work.
to create interest - tạo hứng thú
- It's hard not to attract attention when you're really famous.
- Kim wants to be a celebrity, so she'll do anything to attract media attention.
He waved to attract the attention of the waitress.
The trial has attracted international attention.
attract sb's attention
to do something to make someone notice you - khiến ai chú ý
- I've tried to attract her attention, but she hasn't noticed me yet.
- We managed to slip out of the office without attracting anyone's attention.
- At 3 A.M. Abe is awake again, and again he asks Sarah for her attentions.